The Security Guard is responsible for the control of entry to the ship during Gangway Operations and the screening process as described in the Security Manual in SQM. Actual times to be detailed by ships routines.
The Security Guard will patrol the ship during the night time hours and implement the Master’s Rules and Regulations. He/she is under the supervision of the Watch keeping Officer while acting as a Response Guard or while on the ship's safety rounds. The Chief Officer Safety and/or Security Officer/Deputy Security Officer and Security Supervisor will be on call to assist him/her should an occasion arise.
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s The Royal Way, SQM standards, USPH guidelines, environmental, and safety policies. Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various service venues and throughout the ship.
1. In accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s philosophy of Anchored in Excellence , each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and crew areas.
2. He/She shall complete the familiarization form of Chapter 2 according to the established procedures.
3. The Security Guard shall have an understanding of the Safety and Quality Management Program including responsibilities related to the Emergency Plan and Station Bill. An excellent understanding of the Master's Rules and Regulations and the Company’s Policy and a thorough knowledge of the Security manual are essential for this position.
4. The Security Guards working hours should be adjusted as appropriate to the ship's routine. He/She shall monitor the day/night security and prepare a log of activities during the night time hours presentation to the Security Officer. The Security Officer will produce a Night Report from this log for presentation to prescribed ship's management.
5. The Security Guard shall be familiar with all duties regarding the safety rounds 5. and the gangway security. (See Security Manual for specific instructions.)
6. The Security Supervisor shall, through his/her observations, preserve the safety of the vessel, passengers, and the crew.
7. During Safety Rounds the Security Guard shall always be alert and follow the designated procedures. He/She may be the first person to arrive at the scene of an incident or a fire, and will have to assess a situation and act accordingly until help arrives.
8. The situation will dictate any action taken by the Security Guard. In the case of a fire alarm, the Security Guard will respond immediately to the location of the alarm. He/She will then be responsible for making quick decisions based on previous instructions and experience.
9. The Security Guard shall immediately inform the Duty Officer on the Bridge and any other concerned Officer of any incident which has occurred.
10. The Security Guard shall always be alert to take emergency action with any situation. The Security Guard shall be familiar on the use and the location of all safety related equipment as outlined on the familiarization form of Chapter 2.
11. If an "Alpha Alpha Alpha" occurs, the Security Guard shall follow the established procedures as described in the appendices.
12. The Security Guard is otherwise instructed to be an additional spotter around the vessel for any type of problems, being passenger, crew or ship related. The Security Guard shall report immediately any unusual incidents or situations. He/She shall also report if any abuse of ship's property or abuse of Shipboard regulations takes place.
13. He/She shall be familiar with the procedures of solving passenger complaints.
14. Security Guards shall conduct frequent security inspections on the crew quarters during his/her duty hours.
15. The Security Guards shall attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required Perform related duties as required.
16. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Minimum experience and qualification requirements for position:
Candidates are required to have four (4) years experience in at least one of the following areas; Army /Maritime/Aviation/Police or Hotel Security environment. The Security Guard should have experience in physical security with special emphasis on access control, security screening methods, security screening equipment operation and training ability (x-ray, metal detector, explosives/narcotics detection
The Security Guard must have the ability to operate in a multinational environment
Organizational skills combined with literacy and basic knowledge of computers is preferred for this position