Cares for a variety of live plants and flowers throughout the vessel and carries out all duties, administrative and operational as detailed in the shipboard integrated pest management plan, by performing the following duties.
1. Examines plants and soil/potting mix to determine moisture level and waters each plants according to requirements of species.
2. Sponged plant leaves to apply moisture and remove dust, promoting a healthy, glossy finish.
3. Maintain the ornamental plants as needed.
4. Observes plants in sufficient details to detect insects and diseases, and should consults plant care books or other source of information to identify problems and determine remedial action.
5. Selects and applies specified chemical solutions to feed plants, kill insects, maintain healthy appearance treat diseases, by using aerosols, hose or mist-sprayer.
6. Transplants plants into larger containers with sufficient regularity as to prevent root binding.
7. Pinches and prunes stems, shoots and leaves to remove dead and diseased leaves, so as to induce growth.
8. Removes diseased and dying plants from display and replaces with healthy plants.
9. Supervises to correct destruction of diseased plants in the incinerator.
10. Uses shears, trowels, folks and other horticultural tools and equipment as required to facilitate the execution of his/her duties.
11. Maintains records of plants, documenting location, number variety, care and treatment. Produces a weekly or voyage report detailing all horticultural activities.
12. Under the direction of the Hotel Maintenance Manager, operates the shipboard Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Plan, with regard to the following:
* Maintain the required stock of approved pesticides and IPM supplies onboard, ordering through the Hotel Maintenance Manager as required.
* Carries our rounds and inspections of all Pest Monitoring Stations as per the Inspection Schedule, recording results on the appropriate sheet.
* Replaces and relocates Monitor Stations as required and in accordance with the IPM Plan.
* Applies pesticides on a regular basis as demanded by the IPM plan, or as directed on an irregular basis to cope with special circumstances, such as random local infections of pests.
* Keeps all documentation and log sheets associated with the IPM Plan, up to date and in good order. Presents all IPM Plan documentation to the Hotel Maintenance Manager for verification and signature on a weekly basis.
* On boarding/turnaround day ensures that his/her IPM duties take first priority over regular horticultural duties, with any other non Hotel Maintenance related duties being assigned the lowest priority.
13. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
14. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Minimum experience and qualification requirements for position:
Two to three years plant care experience in a 4 or 5 star hotel or other high profile public venue
Knowledge of horticulturist requirements of ornamental plants including the use of insecticides, fertilizers and gardening tools
Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
Knowledge of and familiarity with general horticultural or agricultural chemical and pesticides, methods of application and safety procedures
Contract length: 29 weeks on
Salary: Please contact the agency in regards salary