Head Waiter will supervise and coordinate the functions of the restaurant sequence of service and all essential duties and responsibilities outlined below. These locations include but are not limited to Main Dining Room, Windjammer, and Specialty Restaurants.
While performing their role in the restaurant venues, He/She will be engaged in providing courteous and professional service to guests. The duties described below are performed either personally or through subordinates.
1. Utilizes appropriate food and wine terminology and pronunciation. Maintains complete knowledge of menu descriptions and wine lists in order to discuss items appropriately to enhance the guests dining experience. Responsible for the successful execution of the training for Restaurant employees in this function.
2. Trains, monitors and evaluates Restaurant employees for service according to ROAD. Provides on-the-job training to all Restaurant employees to strengthen their current performance and in preparation for possible advancement.
3. Following all Restaurant Operations guidelines (i.e. SOPs, Traffic Flow, Over Time) creates and notifies Maitre d' regarding work schedules and station assignments. Ensures fair distribution of duties including side jobs, following Restaurant Operation guidelines, to employees engaged.
4. Records production and operational data on specified forms. Analyzes operational problems such as theft and wastage, and establishes controls. Ensures that employee timecards are in compliance with the Time and Attendance policy.
5. Supervises staff to ensure tables are set according to standards with appropriate linen, silverware, glassware and china. Under time constraints or staff shortages, assists employees in setting tables.
6. Greets and escorts guests to their assigned seats.
7. Presents both food and beverage menus to guests; suggests dinner courses, appropriate wines, and answers questions regarding menu and wine selections. Makes recommendations to entice guests with thoughtful suggestions.
8. Supervises staff to ensure galley and beverage orders are properly recorded and retrieved from various locations and served appropriately to guests. Ensures dishes are garnished and decorated according to the standards. Ensures staff enters food and beverage orders in the point-of-sale system. Records meal counts according to established processes. Under time constraints or staff shortages, assists employees in the food service function.
9. Supervises assigned stations or sections, including all employees and the equipment used within them. Responsible to ensure all cleanliness and maintenance is in accordance with relevant standards (i.e. ROAD, USPH, Workplace Safety and Clean Ship Matrix) in assigned areas. Ensures sections are ready prior to seating.
10. Observes guests to anticipate their needs, responds to any additional requests and determines when the food and beverage service has been completed.
11. Works to achieve the guest’s satisfaction with both the quality of the food served and service execution. Listens emphatically to any opportunity for improvement. Exercises authority and discretion to satisfy guests in a manner consistent with Royal Way Standards. Immediately works to resolve difficulties and follows-up with all employees and guests involved in a positive and productive manner to correct the situation.
12. Supervises and participates in dining room entertainment as directed by established activities and specific itinerary adaptations such as theme night parades.
13. Participates in rotational schedule, supervising assigned areas in Room Service, Windjammer, Specialty Dining, and other venues.
14. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
15. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
16. Actively follows ServSafe responsible service of alcoholic beverages.
Cultivates Customer First
· Demonstrates a passion for customer service excellence and understands the implications of cultural differences for service requirements
· Follows all Royal Way Standards with regards to service including greeting and escorting guests, using guests’ names and observing guests to anticipate needs. Ensures complete guest satisfaction.
· Takes ownership for guest issues/concerns and follows up to ensure resolution
· Always provides guests with alternatives and avoids using the word “No” people skills
Minimum experience and qualification requirements for position:
Two to three years previous Head Waiter, Captain or Chef de Rang experience, preferably in a 4 or 5 star restaurant or hotel
One to two years previous Supervisory or Restaurant Manager experience, preferably in a 4 or 5 star Restaurant.
Extensive knowledge of the restaurant and/or food service industry. Ability to use appropriate food and beverage terminology and pronunciation
Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal service including needs assessment, problem resolution and achievement.
Knowledge of policies and practices involved in the human resources function. Ability to manage the international staff in a positive and productive manner by motivating, developing and managing employees as they work. Ability to utilize and administer the disciplinary action process through coaching and counseling to improve performance or terminate employment
Working knowledge of computers, Internet access and the ability to navigate within a variety software packages such as Excel and Word
Contract length: 29 weeks on/ up to 60 days off
Salary: Please contact the agency in regards salary