The Deck Supervisor is responsible for the operational management of all Housekeeping functions for their assigned deck. Deck Supervisors demonstrate excellent attention to detail and training abilities, and understand the importance of creating a positive work environment where exceptional service in consistently delivered to ensure complete guest and team satisfaction. He/she is an excellent communicator and maintains a strong floor presence at all times, ensuring team members are constantly coached in a positive manner to maximize individual and team performance.
1. Royal Caribbean International expects each shipboard management team member to relentlessly exemplify the principles of the Anchored in Excellence Credo to all team members. In addition, all duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s Gold Anchor Standards, SQM standards, USPH guidelines, environmental, and safety policies.
2. In accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s philosophy of Anchored in Excellence, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This applies to physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and crew areas.
3. Supports and reports to the Assistant Executive Housekeeper. Oversees all operational aspects of staterooms on assigned deck(s), ensuring cleanliness, maintenance and presentation standards are managed to brand standards at all times and in all areas, including all guest staterooms and balconies, guest corridors, lockers, ice stations and storage areas in both the front and back of house.
4. Maintains constant front-of-house presence and utilizes stateroom/suite inspection processes in accordance with company standard operating procedures. Ensures feedback is delivered in constructive and appropriate manner with emphasis on positive reinforcement. Ensures staterooms are maintained to brand standards, including cleanliness, maintenance, presentation, collateral, mini-bar and general set up standards for daytime and evening/turndown service. Ensures Housekeeping Administrator is provided accurate and timely inspection results. Recognizes top performers and applies progressive disciplinary process in accordance with guidelines and back of house rotation for lowest performers.
5. Ensures timely reporting of any maintenance needs and follows up to ensure prompt completion when possible. Gathers preventative maintenance needs to enable maintenance to be planned and executed appropriately.
6. Takes ownership and accountability for reacting to guest feedback and requests from assigned deck (s) effectively and efficiently. Provides Housekeeping Administrator updated information on all housekeeping related entries in ship’s Guest Log, to ensure all guest issues are resolved and recorded in a timely fashion. Assists shipboard senior management team in the facilitation of the ‘Guest Conduct Policy’. Fully owns any guest concern in line with onboard problem resolution guidelines to ensure maximum guest satisfaction.
7. Provides training to all Stateroom Attendants, including classroom style and on-the-job training, ensuring team members consistently strengthen their current performance. Maintains and shares comprehensive knowledge of cleaning practices, procedures, equipment and materials. Communicates to team constantly to keep team informed and aware of relevant information. Identifies training and coaching opportunities within their teams to improve performance and accurately completes training report cards for Stateroom Attendants.
8. Provides evaluations and tracking development on an individual and team level, ensuring open and honest feedback is consistently provided.
9. As required assists the Assistant Executive Housekeeper with the Housekeeping Cross Training program primarily to ensure the candidate completes all practical training's as per the program guidelines
10. Partners with the Assistant Executive Housekeeper and/or Executive Housekeeper on a per voyage basis to review the Performance Management Tool and review Stateroom Attendants results. Proficient to identify training needs based on these results as it relates to inspection and rating results. Is able to meet with Stateroom Attendants and share performance feedback and next steps.
11. Monitors individual and team performance and trends for Stateroom Attendants against pre-established targets and through guest feedback. Supports Housekeeping Management in achieving and exceeding quantitative and qualitative goals and targets set for Housekeeping guest satisfaction ratings, GOLD Anchor Quality Reviews, employee satisfaction scores, Public Health inspections and audits, and Housekeeping Operational Reviews.
12. Ensures staterooms are serviced, cleaned and maintained to the highest standards. Serves as Housekeeping ambassador to all guests on assigned deck. Maintains close communication with Guest Services team on all guest related matters to ensure guests’ satisfaction levels are maximized.
13. Oversees luggage delivery for all guests on assigned deck(s) as part of each voyage turnaround, ensuring prompt delivery and collection in safe and organized manner.
14. Performs stores inventory on assigned deck for all operational needs and supplies and measures against pre-established par levels. Seeks to minimize consumption and manage costs through waste reduction practices and maintenance of optimal inventory levels.
15. Ensures cleaning equipment and supplies are maintained and that all team members are adequately trained to ensure proper and effective use.
16. Oversees the preparation process for the Stateroom attendants on respective decks during the cruise and on the last day to ensure all preparation tasks are met. Additionally completes spot checks of all Stateroom attendants to ensure compliance and reports to the Assistant Executive Housekeeper any shortages.
17. On Turnaround day supervises and monitors the entire turnaround day process on respective decks and provides on the job coaching to Stateroom attendants and Support team members. Additionally communicates the status of the deck throughout the morning to the Assistant Executive Housekeeper. Updates the Senior Deck Supervisor at the end of the shift any Support team performance issues
18. Fully understands the Performance Management Tool and Business Rules and on a per voyage basis manages the positive comments verification for respective deck.
19. Monitors compliance to all USPH cleaning and sanitation procedures throughout assigned areas consistently. Addresses issues and findings immediately, and ensures corrective action and re-training take place.
20. Maintains safe, secure, and healthy environment by enforcing organizational standards, procedures, and legal regulations and promoting Workplace Safety. Effectively monitors, overseas and makes improvements to workplace safety within the division and throughout the ship. Attends mandatory crew and guest safety drills, training activities, courses and all other work related activities as required.
21. Assigns duties and responsibilities to team members. Observes and evaluates team members through open and honest feedback to ensure high quality standards are met. This should be done constantly both in formal evaluations and also informally while on the job throughout each team member’s contract to further each team member’s personal development.
22. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Minimum experience and qualification requirements for position:
Minimum one year supervisory experience in housekeeping operation of large 4 or 5 Star hotels (500+ rooms), cruise line or hospitality industry related field required, with demonstrated experience supervising team of minimum of 10 employees
Minimum of one to two years of guest room cleaning experience in 4 or 5 star hotel or cruise line equivalent
Specific knowledge of principles and processes for providing exceptional customer and personal service including needs assessment, problem resolution, demonstrated strong attention to detail and achievement of quality service standards
Ability to effectively deal with internal and external guests, some of whom will require high levels of discretion, patience, tact and diplomacy
Contract length: 29 weeks on / up to 60 days off
Salary: Please contact the agency in regards salary